Friday, August 1, 2008

Note to Passengers

Maybe I should explain the title of my blog.

One of my favorite stories comes from the Dude. Seems the Dude (aka Mike) was riding the El in Chicago a few years ago, and the train broke down. Commuters were confused. Connections were being missed. Chaos ensued. The conductor of the train (or some such voice of authority) came over the PA system and tried to restore order. Unfortunately, the only sound everyone heard was some version of Charlie Brown's teacher: "Waaa waa wuh wahh wahh."

More chaos. More confusion. "Is this our stop?" "Are we on the pink line?" "How long will it take to fix this train?" "Este tren esta loco!"

Then, with the force of a deus ex machina, a voice emerged out of the darkness in booming clarity:

"Passengers, let me break it down for you."

The nature of the malfunction was clarified. Order was restored. Peace ruled once again in the land.

I have always loved this story. I love the idea of a weary, hot, exasperated voice emerging from the periphery of our lives and offering one of life's most precious gifts: clarity. Where is this voice when I'm in the throws of a major decision? Why can't this voice boom from nowhere in my classroom some days when the students are dense and the teacher is tired?

So, in honor of that valiant conductor, I hereby name this blog. Dear readers, I will break it down for you as best as I know how.

In today's News from the Motherland...It's hotter 'n hell in the Great State. Apparently it will feel like 110. God bless Texans everywhere:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080108dnmethotjuly.36f076e.html

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Neil shared your blog with me. I love the way you write! And those boys, those boys. Wow! It is startling to see how time is passing. And, not to be nosey, but may we ask, who is Frank?